Dr. Riley J. Williams III is a specialist in the field of shoulder, knee and elbow surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery. Dr. Williams holds a dual appointment in both the Department of Orthopedic Surgery, as a full-time member of the Sports Medicine & Shoulder Service, and as a Clinician-Scientist in the Research Division. He is also an Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Williams attended college at Yale University and medical school at Stanford University. Dr. Williams did both his Orthopedic Surgery training and Sports Medicine Fellowship training at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
His clinical and research interests include: cartilage regeneration, cartilage transplantation, arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction, arthroscopic rotator repair, arthroscopic shoulder stabilization & labrum repair, posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) reconstruction, elbow ligament reconstruction, and partial knee-replacement. Dr. Williams is the Director of the Institute for Cartilage Repair at Hospital for Special Surgery.
Dr. Williams currently serves as the Medical Director for Brooklyn Nets Basketball (NBA), and the New York Red Bulls of Major League Soccer. He is also the Head Team Physician for the Iona College Department of Athletics. Dr. Williams is an avid cyclist, runner, triathlete, and golfer.
Positions and Affiliations
- Associate Attending Orthopedic Surgeon, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Director of the Institute for Cartilage Repair, Hospital for Special Surgery
- Medical Director, Brooklyn Nets Basketball
- Medical Director, New York Red Bulls Soccer
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS)
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES)
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Study Group
- NBA Team Physician Society
- MLS Team Physician Society